Select Page

Negligence is the term that is used in the legal profession when an individual or company is responsible for needlessly causing damages to another individual. If you have been harmed by another individual or company that caused you to incur property damage or bodily injury, you may need to initiate a personal injury claim or lawsuit to obtain fair compensation for the damages that you suffered.

Auto Collisions

Auto collisions generally fall under the designation of negligence and often result in personal injuries. For example, if you were a motorist that was struck from behind by another motorist, the driver that struck you from behind is usually found negligent in a court of law for not using ordinary care to follow you at a safe distance that would allow time to stop without striking you. Victims of auto collisions may file claims with the negligent party’s insurer to attempt to resolve a claim without filing a lawsuit. However, when an insurer has not offered fair compensation for your property damage or bodily injury damages, you have the right to seek justice by filing a lawsuit against the negligent party. The other party’s insurer will provide an attorney for the negligent party to defend against your lawsuit. This is not a good time to go it alone.

Is It Time to Contact an Attorney?

Insurance companies are adept at limiting fair compensation to unrepresented victims of negligence. Insurers understand that if a person is not represented by an attorney, they can offer an injured person less than full value without recourse. Hiring an experienced Seattle personal injury attorney levels the playing field for an injured person. Injury attorneys manage cases from start to finish usually enabling fair settlements without a person having to file a lawsuit. When a lawsuit is necessary, an attorney will prepare a person’s witnesses and doctors to provide testimony that proves the liability of the other driver and the fair value of your injuries.

What If the Injured Are Partially to Blame for the Accident?

Washington state is a comparative fault state. This means that a person’s damages may be reduced by the percentage of fault for a given event. Comparative negligence law compares each party’s level of negligence. For example, the court may decide that the injured party deserves 30 percent of the responsibility for the accident, but the other party will still receive 70 percent of the blame. When the court determines the amount of money the injured party is due, this amount will be reduced by 30 percent. Injured people who are not completely at fault for causing a collision should consider a free consultation with an attorney to help them understand theirs rights and the risks and benefits of pursuing a claim for damages.

It May Be Time to Contact an Attorney

If you have been injured by someone else’s negligence, that person’s insurer will immediately begin taking measures to protect their insureds and minimize your damages. Having an experienced Seattle Personal Injury Attorney at your side who can advocate for and enforce your rights is the best way to ensure a fair result. Contact an attorney today.