Anytime you drive or ride a car in Seattle, or anywhere else, you are at risk of becoming involved in a car accident. No matter how good of a driver you are, there are many external factors out of your control that may contribute to accidents, including:
- Unenforced or nonexistent traffic laws
- Unsafe behavior by other road users
- Poor road infrastructure or maintenance
- Among others
While it is important to learn strategies on how to proactively avoid getting into an accident, it is also crucial to know what to do after a car accident in the event that one does happen.
Five steps to follow after a car accident
Overall, there are five main steps to follow after a motor vehicle accident.
- If you are driving a moving vehicle, pull over immediately if you can, turn off the car, and turn on hazard lights. Check others for any injuries and take standard first aid measures if necessary.
- Dial 9-1-1 to get police and/or medical help in the case that there is significant property damage, injury, or death. All parties who need medical treatment should seek it immediately, if possible.
- Collect evidence and information. Try and preserve the scene as much as you can. Take photos and videos of the accident, including vehicle damage, property damage, or any injuries. Gather the information of all those involved, including names, phone numbers, and insurance information.
- Keep conversations neutral and avoid any discussions about who was at fault. This includes apologizing, arguing, or even dismissing health concerns (i.e. insisting you are fine before being checked out by a medical professional). Even the simplest comments can be twisted against you later.
- Research your legal options. If you have suffered damages as a result of a car accident, you may be able to receive fair compensation. An expert Seattle car accident attorney can help you with your case and fight for the recovery you deserve. Additionally, an attorney can also protect you against insurance companies trying to take advantage of you or other parties trying to sue you for the accident.
As soon as is safe for you, consider reaching out to the experienced team of Seattle injury attorneys at Gosanko & O’Halloran, PLLC for advice and guidance on your situation. The earlier you reach out, the quicker we can give you aid, protection, and representation, so call soon at 206-275-0700.