Being involved in a car crash, slip and fall accident, or other traumatic incidents can leave anyone vulnerable. From physical injuries and emotional distress to financial burdens, dealing with the aftermath of an accident can be difficult enough without the added knowledge that it was all caused by the actions of another.
If you have suffered from an accident due to the negligence of others, you have the right to full and fair compensation from those responsible. But if you try to file a personal injury lawsuit yourself, you may end up with less compensation you deserve or nothing at all. Instead, it is recommended that you have an experienced personal injury attorney in your corner to advocate for your best interests.
What exactly does a personal injury attorney do?
As someone who was just recently injured, your main priority should be resting up and healing. At the same time, though, the statute of limitations on personal injury claims in the state of Washington is three years, meaning starting to suit as soon as possible is ideal. This is where a personal injury attorney comes in.
Personal injury attorneys have the expertise and resources to handle the process of filing the lawsuit so that you can focus on healing. Some of the many tasks they are capable of include:
- Gathering evidence. This includes any photos or videos of the incident, statements by witnesses who were at the scene, police records, inspection logs, and more.
- Determining the full value of your claim.
- Consulting with experts.
- Filing the necessary paperwork.
- Negotiating for full and fair compensation.
- Presenting your case at trial, if needed.
- Providing legal advice
What does the personal injury claim process involve?
After an accident, prioritize getting medical care first. As soon as it is safe for you, get in touch with an attorney that specializes in personal injury claims. Once they hear your situation, they will be able to advise you on the next best steps and, if appropriate, support you throughout your claim process as you continue your healing.
From there, the process is as follows:
- The attorney will investigate your case. This includes gathering any kind of evidence that is needed to support your claims.
- Initial demands are made & negotiation begins. Once the case has been thoroughly investigated, the plaintiff can begin the process by initiating negotiation.
- The personal injury lawsuit is filed. If negotiations do not work out, then this is when a formal claim against the liable party is filed. Investigation and discussion continue.
- Settlement or trial. Either the parties settle outside the courtroom or the case goes to trial. During the trial, the judge or jury will hear the case and render a verdict.
Throughout this whole process, it will help monumentally to have an experienced personal injury attorney by your side. To get a free consultation, call 206-275-0700 to talk to one of the legal experts at Gosanko, O’Halloran, Lepore PLLC.